Employee engagement is the degree to which employees feel enthusiastic about their work, are committed to their employer, and participate in different areas of their employment.
At organizations where many employees are in customer-facing roles, employee engagement can be a particularly important driver of company performance. Engaged employees become brand ambassadors and have a significant impact on the customer experience and ultimately sales. Low employee engagement, meanwhile, can have severe and negative effects on turnover, which is a key driver of cost and hampers customer service.
Employee engagement can be improved by examining:
- How connected employees feel to their colleagues
- Their sense of contribution
- The level of autonomy that employees are given
- Personal and professional growth opportunities
- Access to shift-swapping and employee self-serve portals
- How much they enjoy their job
- Work-life balance