Axsium Group, a global workforce management consulting firm, is seeking a business-oriented, growth-minded candidate to fill our Chief Financial Officer (CFO) position located in Toronto. The CFO is be responsible for overseeing the financial performance of the company by leading financial planning, banking and treasury duties in order to help the company reach both performance and growth goals. The CFO is a key strategic partner and member of the Leadership team, reporting directly to the President, providing insight and fiduciary guidance to the organization. The CFO has oversight of the accounting, budgeting, financial reporting, internal controls, payroll and tax, financial services, insurance, purchasing, administrative services and information technology functions of the company.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as a member of the executive leadership team, gain their confidence to support financial goals, and report directly to the President.
- Recommend improvements to ensure the integrity of the company’s financial information.
- Assist in performing all tasks necessary to achieve the organization’s mission and growth plans.
- Responsible for the financial function of our North American (Canadian/United States), United Kingdom and Australian divisions.
- Translate strategies into financial performance plans and goals.
- Oversee long-term budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with the company’s strategic plan.
- Partner with the President and executive management to assess organizational performance against both the annual budget and the company’s long-term strategic plan.
- Become a trusted advisor and partner with the President and executive management in analysis of the business to identify and capitalize on opportunities.
- Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the President and make actionable recommendations on strategy and operations.
- Provide strategic management of the accounting and finance functions in coordination with our Toronto-based finance team and third-party accounting firms and payroll providers in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom and Australia.
- Direct and coach the finance team including assessment of staff competencies and capabilities, addressing and upgrading, as required, to meet business requirements.
- Ensure that accounting for business is professionally and correctly conducted and reported for each geographical area.
- Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds across multiple currencies, as needed.
- Oversee financing strategies and activities, banking relationships, as well as manage and recommend financial partners by country.
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s global operations and business plans for the future.
Financial Planning, Reporting and Analysis
- Prepare and maintain regular financial planning reports; preparing monthly actuals vs budget profit and loss statements by division; prepare cash flow forecasts.
- Complete analysis of financial results and develop recommendations (strategic and tactical).
- Develop and execute analysis of various business initiatives (e.g., opening new operations, asset acquisition, new service launches, pricing, etc.).
Planning, Policy, and Investor Relations
- Coordinate the development and monitoring of budgets.
- Develop annual and long-term financial business plans and forecasts.
- Participate in corporate policy development as a member of the Leadership team.
- Oversee corporate insurance and risk management program.
- Oversee cross-border tax filing requirements.
- Represent the company as required with investors, financial partners, channel partners, customers etc.
Accounting and Administration
- Oversee the accounting department to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and functions.
- Ensure maintenance and effectiveness of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures and are operating effectively.
- Coordinate the completion of statutory financial statements.
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors; manage preparation and support of all external audits
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Oversee preparation of annual budgets, business plans, month-end, quarter-end and year-end financial statements.
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger maintenance, balance sheet reconciliations and corporate/overhead cost allocation.
- Liaise with tax professionals to maintain an effective and compliant global tax program. Ensure compliance with all tax reporting requirements including income tax, commodity taxes, payroll taxes and cross border taxes for all divisions.
- Oversee management of Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payable including collection and disbursements; serve as final point of escalation for Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable issues.
- Review and approve payrolls for all divisions. Ensure optimization of payroll systems.
- Ensure all capital assets are recorded in compliance with general accepted accounting principles.
- Enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems.
- Strong Finance professional with CPA designation.
- Experience working with a professional services firm as a Director, Vice President of Finance or CFO.
- Experience managing the financial challenges and opportunities of a multi-national corporation. Experience working in the United States, United Kingdom and Australia is a plus.
- Strong leadership and communication skills are essential along with experience in collaborating with and presenting to senior management, and Board of Directors.
- An ethical and responsible business leader with a strong moral compass always operating with honesty and integrity.
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills, plus excellent organization skills. Detail oriented, hands-on and analytical mindset – operates with a “must understand” mind-set.
- A change agent and self-starter motivated by a fast-paced environment.
- Comfortable with and thrives in multi-tasking and managing numerous projects simultaneously, ability to set and work to deadlines. A “can do” and “do what it takes” attitude.
- Proven track record for producing results and meeting deadlines.
- Experience working within a dynamic entrepreneurial environment managing through changing trends and providing growth-oriented financial guidance. Consulting firm experience a plus.